Hayom Yom, Iyar 3: “It is possible to utilize all character traits (‘midot’) for G‑d’s service according to the ways of Torah. This includes those traits that are unwholesome, and even those that are evil, as their names and descriptions indicate. For example, the tzadik Rabbi Meshulam Zusya of Anipoli, of blessed memory, learned a number of methods of serving G‑d – from a thief:
1. He works quietly (‘modestly’) without others knowing.
2. He is ready to place himself in danger.
3. The smallest detail is of great importance to him.
4. He labours with great toil.
6. He is confident and optimistic.
7. If he does not succeed the first time, he tries again and again”.